Role: Chief Technology Officer (CTO)
Location: Paris, France
The European Digital Reading Lab (EDRL), a recent French non-profit corporation (Association loi 1901) having a principal address at 14 Rue Alexandre Parodi, 75010 Paris, France) is a new innovative initiative in the Open Source Digital Publishing area.
France and Paris candidature have been selected by Readium Foundation and IDPF to be their primary regional development center in Europe. So, French Public and Private stakeholders have just created this EDR Lab to host this project (Founders are the 4 Big French Publishers, Syndicat National de l’Edition, Cercle de la Librairie, Cap Digital, Ministry of Culture, Centre National du Livre, Ministry of Finances).
The International Digital Publishing Forum (IDPF) is the global trade and standards organization dedicated to the development and promotion of electronic publishing and content consumption.The work of the IDPF promotes the development of electronic publishing applications and products that will benefit creators of content, makers of reading systems, and consumers.
The Readium Foundation (Readium.org) develops technology to accelerate adoption of EPUB 3 and the Open Web Platform by the global digital publishing industry. Readium.org was formed in February, 2013 as a non-profit membership organization.
Due to this recent enthusiastic success, EDRL is looking to identify a Chief Technology Officer to lead this Open source Lab for all European Zone, play a key role in overall Digital Reading / Publishing Strategy around Open Source Evolutions.
Role & Responsabilities
- hire and manage a tech team (almost all of them engineers, staff and / or contractors),
- responsible for all technical processes and technology within EDRLab team, helped by a software developper lead,
- ensure the development of quality OSS subprojects or complete projects around Readium Technologies using very fast Agile and Collaborative Methodologies,
- be a product manager,
- interact with the publishing industry in Europe (shared responsibility with the position of evangelist) and be a reference contact for Publishers,
- be active in the development of the EPUB standard,
- collaborate with key people at IDPF and Readium Foundation and other organizations (DAISY, W3C Digipub, NYPL Labs, identical Lab in Asia)
- provide a vision for the lab (Define priorities and create new ones) and report regularly to the EDRL Board,
- attract contributors for the various open source projects that the lab will be involved with,
- play up to some level an institutional role (EU, States, Regions, Clusters,..),
- organize evangelization events around EPUB and Readium Technos.
European Nationality. Passion for Open Source Capabilities (Interoperability, Accessibility, …) and, by the way, a relentless desire to make a difference in the world!
This position would be based in Paris, however would require travel as the CTO will be representing internationally the organization in Europe and will have to be well coordinated with US Organizations Representatives.
Essential Experience :
- 10+ years’ in Software Development (Product Evolutions and Strategy) including Web (W3C Open Web Platform technologies) and Apps Integrations (iOS, Androïd).
- Demonstrated knowledge effective software engineering practices with a thorough understanding of all phases of OSS development lifecycle.
- Digital Publishing Industry Experience and / or Open Source Organization Leadership Experience.
- Content Protection and Security Skills.
- Communication / Evangelization Skills with Private and Public Players including EU.
- Used to navigate in Global Standards Organizations.
The person needs to be able to motivate and lead volunteer developers who are not their subordinates (OSS and he/she will need to be pretty autonomous.
Please note: Fluent English (verbal & written) is mandatory for this position. Additionnal good level in French would be very appreciated. Any other European Language welcome as well.
Contact : firstname.lastname@example.org